Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 4th --Page 1 of Kiggins Re-model update

Mr. Wood told me last week that he would give me a tour of the house INSIDE next week. Today is Thursday, September 4th and it had not happened yet. I walked around the house and took these three photos:


Then, as I was walking around to 24th St. to take one more, Mrs. Wood saw me and we chatted for a bit. I mentioned that it probably wasn't going to happen like he said but I could wait. . . haha (The excitement of seeing inside was killing me and here it was already Thursday of "next week!") Just then Mr. Wood came around to where we were talking and asked "if I was ready." He wasn't sure (after my fall in July) if I could climb on a ladder to get into the house. I told him I WAS ready(BOY! WAS I EVER READY!!!!!!!!) -- I didn't have trouble climbing -- just with uneven sidewalks that I wasn't looking at when walking!

He stopped to show me how easy the old paint scrapes off.
Look beneaath the dust and see the beautiful patterned woodwork floor.
This is a built in cupboard in the front entryway where the living room and on the opposite wall of the fireplace..
This is a divider wall between two doors that opened into the former kitchen/dining room (I think.) It will be closed off on the left.

Left doorway. . .

Right doorway--notice the framing is the same throughout the house.
This is the living room. Straight ahead is the fireplace. There is a mantel that will be re-attached when work is finshed. The metal screens for the fireplace were stolen. (See one of the first stories on this at my other blog.) Notice the woodwork around the ceiling and down the walls.
This is the front entryway. The door is on the left side of the house -- the old Kiggins house had a stairway curving up to the front porch on the left.

This view is taken from a diagnal view of the room through the front windows. The stuff on the porch is from bult ins that were removed from the house already and other parts of the old house, like the column. Not sure if that column will be used again. . .

View from living room looking towards the back of the house.
Off the great room (living room) and to the left is the staircase. Not sure if this was original or put in later since it looks like the wood pattern extends under the staircase. Notice the multi-paned windows that open out and the BENCH underneath the windows! The view is over to the south where the Wood's have their present home that they remodeled also.

Right side doorway into the kitchen.
New framing in the kitchen area.

Side of the old kitchen dining room that faces Arnada Park.
This shows how they made the walls before wallboard was invented. All those tiny boards had to be "glued" together to form the "wallboard."
Not sure about this photo -- think it is a hallway view. Notice the wood on the floor here. . .
Can't remember but this might be a new bathroom area.
Southern side of the porch which I think he said will be a sun porch on this side.

Side of the balcony above garage that will face onto Arnada park. It will be enclosed.

Do you see Mrs. Wood down below?
Close-up of the fireplace marble. It looks like ceramic tile behind it.
The original fireplace in this 101 year old house.
Pattern of the beautiful inlaid wood can be seen under the dust. What a shame it was to have it covered with carpeting!

Bench and windows going up the stairs to the second floor.

No comments: